Saturday, January 4, 2014

Meaning

I've been thinking recently that not drinking alcohol for a year is a pretty meaningless thing to do.
 
If I were struggling with it then it would be important.  If it were something I couldn't do, it would mean more than everything that I can do.  As it is, so far, it is just this thing I'm doing because I said I would do it.
 
One of the things I've learned in the past couple of weeks is that not doing something isn't very interesting.  So I decided to do is another blog 365 Walks by Ginny as a dual commitment to walk daily and to practice taking photos.  Also, my husband, daughter, and I have begun a year long "Make it, take it" game, where every day one of us has to put up either 3 miles or 45 minutes on the treadmill.  The next person in line has until 6 p.m. the following day to do the same.  If they miss the deadline, a half a mile for every 24 hour period they delay is added to their distance.  I don't want to hear the verbal abuse that the person who misses a day will surely be subjected to, so it's a great way to get me back into running.
 
Not drinking has little meaning.  Spending time outdoors, engaging in an activity with my family - those things have meaning to me.  





No comments:

Post a Comment