Saturday, April 19, 2014

Random Thoughts

  • I often turn to books to help me work through situations. The swirling cyclone that is my brain calms down the moment I pick up a new book. I am interested in what other people have to say about what I'm experiencing, how they have gotten through, and what techniques I can learn from them to help me navigate my life. As I was coming home from the book store last week I thought about this, and wondered if and when I will ever turn to the Bible during times of trouble. It seems so natural for me to go to the words of other people. What would it be like to go to God's word instead? I'm not ready to make that an official "what would it be like?" question and actually see what it would be like, but I feel certain it is on the horizon.

  • So far I am keeping my promise to eat whole healthy foods in appropriate amounts and to eat only when I am hungry. This is a simple thing that has never been easy for me. I see my years of studying nutrition and attempting to eat this way as training for this moment. There are no doubts in my mind about what I should eat, and that makes this easier, but by no means easy. I miss chocolate.

  • My daughter joined me in April for a month of not drinking alcohol. It was her birthday present to me, a show of solidarity, support, and love. She has successfully navigated two birthday parties, one of which lasted the whole weekend, and a couple of other social gatherings. It doesn't seem to bother her as much as it did me when I started. She says that all she does is think about me doing this for a year, and it doesn't seem like such a big deal to quit for a month. She's wrong about that. It is a big deal and it's nice to have the company. She is also happy not to be spending the money on alcohol when she goes out - definitely a bonus.

  • The woman that I modeled my year of no alcohol after finished up her year last December. I asked her what it was like drinking again, and her reply was my biggest fear. Nothing changed. She went back to using alcohol as a de-stressor, and having 2 or 3 glasses of wine most nights. That was accompanied by bad food choices which led right into feeling like crap. Abstinence is easier than moderation. I have eight more months to figure out how to get to a place where I can practice moderation around alcohol. I am not interested in making this a LONA (Life of No Alcohol).


No comments:

Post a Comment